Who doesn’t like easy?
A good job search involves conducting research and managing copious amounts of information. You browse through job postings on various job boards. You research trends in your industry. You search through company websites. You comb through LinkedIn, looking for connections.
Recently, I’ve been on a mission to simplify the process of getting good information. Instead of continual browsing and hopping from page to page, I want information to come to me!
Here are a few of my recommendations.
1. Follow companies on social media. I am on Facebook on a regular basis and so I started following companies on this platform. Now when I log in, I am getting regular updates from the companies.
You can also follow companies on other social media platforms like LinkedIn and Twitter.
2. Set job alerts on LinkedIn and Indeed.com. Yes, you can set up alerts on LinkedIn and Indeed.com! On Indeed, you can save your searches and have them forwarded to your email address. If you are conducting a passive job search, this is a great strategy!
3. Use Google alerts. You can also set up Google alerts which will notify you if the search terms you specify come up on the web. What an easy way to stay on top of trends in your industry! You can literally set up hundreds of alerts - there is no limit!
4. Follow company blogs and job search sites through RSS. If you have an RSS aggregator, you can put all your blog subscriptions in one place. I recommend Feedly. Here I compile blogs from my industry. Every week, I scan through the articles to stay on top of new trends, resources, and ideas.
5. Sign up for newsletters from companies and professional associations. Almost every organization now offers the option to receive a newsletter. Sign up! Get information delivered directly to your inbox!
6. Set up IFTTT recipes. IFTTT (if this then that) is a software program that provides ways to connect various applications. You set the parameters. You can use it to track information and updates that might be relevant to your job search.
So take the easy way in your job search today!
Career Story works to make your job search easier! Check out our resume writing services at www.careerstory.ca.